We will build trust with the community by operating openly and transparently.
- Change the culture of policing
- Implicit Bias Training & Reviews
- Mandatory Body Cam Usage
- Accountability for Misconduct; direct involvement by Sheriff
- Hands-on leadership from the top of the department
- Open door policy with staff & community
ENGAGE THE COMMUNITY
We will seek out community involvement & partnerships, recognizing that we can't do this alone.
- Lean on the resources in our community to help those in need
- Develop partnerships with leaders from the faith, mental health, and social service sectors
- Encourage public/media ride alongs
- Expand community/school policing
- Establish a volunteer service group to provide support and followup services to victims and to supplement department operations
We will transform the culture in the jail into one that recognizes our responsibility to keep people safe and the unique opportunity we have to impact lives.
- Ensure the medical and mental health needs of inmates are met
- Eliminate jail suicides
CombatING THE DRUG PROBLEM
We will tackle the opioid and meth problem in our community head on.
- Expanding interdiction team efforts
- Recognizing that enforcement alone will not work; multi-faceted solutions are needed
- Engage community partners
PROTECTING KIDS & THE VULNERABLE
We will address the rising trend of crimes against kids and other vulnerable populations in our community, including those experiencing homelessness.
- Expand digital evidence processing
- Engage in a community awareness campaign
- Every kid knows a cop
- Identify & partner with outreach organizations
Policing Reimagined. Its not just a campaign slogan. It reflects my vision for a different style of policing in Grand Traverse County. One that puts people - not power, position, or politics - at the forefront of everything we do. It's a commitment to bringing new ideas and thinking outside the box to solve the problems we face. It recognizes that every individual in our community, regardless of race or socio-economic status, is important and their lives matter.
I believe that police and corrections officers have such a tremendous opportunity to impact the people they serve - - whether it be an accident victim on the side of the road or someone sitting behind bars. Each encounter is an opportunity to impact a life and to make a difference. I believe that respecting peoples rights and dignity goes hand in hand with maintaining law and order.
I envision a reformed justice system that repalces wrath with opportunity, channging lives for the better instead of ruining them.
As Sheriff, I will work tirelessly to Build Trust, Engage the Community, Reform the Jail, Combat the Drug Problem and to Protect Kids & Vulnerarble Populations in our community.