We will build trust with the community by operating openly and transparently.
- Change the culture of policing
- Implicit Bias Training & Reviews
- Mandatory Body Cam Usage
- Accountability for Misconduct
- Hands-on leadership from the top of the department
ENGAGE THE COMMUNITY
We will seek out community involvement & partnerships, recognizing that we can't do this alone.
- Lean on the resources in our community to help those in need
- Develop partnerships with leaders from the faith, mental health, and social service sectors
- Encourage public/media ride alongs
- Expand community/school policing
We will transform the culture in the jail into one that recognizes our responsibility to keep people safe and the unique opportunity we have to impact lives.
- Ensure the medical and mental health needs of inmates are met
- Eliminate jail suicides
CombatING THE DRUG PROBLEM
We will tackle the opioid and meth problem in our community head on.
- Expanding interdiction team efforts
- Recognizing that enforcement alone will not work; multi-faceted solutions are needed
- Engage community partners
PROTECTING KIDS & THE VULNERABLE
We will address the rising trend of crimes against kids and other vulnerable populations in our community, including those experiencing homelessness.
- Expand digital evidence processing
- Engage in a community awareness campaign
- Every kid knows a cop
- Identify & partner with outreach organizations
Policing Reimagined. Its not just a campaign slogan. It reflects my vision for a different style of policing in Grand Traverse County. One that puts people - not power, position, or politics - at the forefront of everything we do. It's a commitment to bringing new ideas and thinking outside the box to solve the problems we face. It recognizes that every individual in our community, regardless of race or socio-economic status, is important and their lives matter.
I believe that police and corrections officers have such a tremendous opportunity to impact the people they serve - - whether it be an accident victim on the side of the road or someone sitting behind bars. Each encounter is an opportunity to impact a life and to make a difference. I believe that respecting peoples rights and dignity goes hand in hand with maintaining law and order.
As Sheriff, I will work tirelessly to Build Trust, Engage the Community, Reform the Jail, Combat the Drug Problem and to Protect Kids & Vulnerarble Populations in our community.